The NZMRI is an organisation established in the 1990s with the aim of promoting mathematical research in New Zealand.
The main focus of the NZMRI’s activity has been the organisation of summer meetings on particular topics of contemporary significance in mathematics, to which some of the world’s best mathematicians are invited for the purpose of giving short courses of lectures and interacting with local researchers and graduate students.
This activity has been generously supported by the Marsden Fund (through 3-year grants 1995-98, 1998-2001 and 2001-04), the NZIMA (through its thematic programmes (2003-2008) and directly (2008-2011)), and contributions by individuals (from NZ and overseas) and by mathematics and statistics departments at NZ universities.
Workshops organised and sponsored through the NZMRI (formerly known as the NZ Institute of Mathematics) to date have been as follows:
- Topology (Huia, December 1994)
- Numerical solution of ordinary differential equations (Huia, December 1994)
- Solvable models in statistical mechanics (Tolaga Bay, January 1996)
- Discrete groups and conformal geometry (Tolaga Bay, January 1997)
- Geometric analysis (Napier, January 1998)
- Harmonic analysis, Riemann surfaces and operator theory (Raglan, January 1999)
- Computability, complexity and computational algebra (Kaikoura, January 2000)
- Operator algebras (Nelson, January 2001)
- Stochastic processes and their applications in biology, medicine and stochastic networks (Napier, January 2002)
- Combinatorics and combinatorial aspects of biology (New Plymouth, January 2003)
- Computational algebra and number theory (Nelson, January 2004)
- Geometry: Interactions with Algebra and Analysis (Napier, January 2005)
- Geometric Topology and Differential Geometry: The Poincare Conjecture (Taipa, January 2006)
- Partial Differential Equations (Waitangi, January 2007)
- Conformal Geometry and Geometric Approaches to PDE (Nelson, January 2008)
- Algorithmic information theory, Computability and Complexity (Napier, January 2009)
- Groups, Representations and Number Theory (Hanmer Springs, January 2010)
- Dynamical Systems (Raglan, January 2011)
- Random Media and Random Walks (Nelson, January 2012)
- Geometric Mechanics and Shape (Ohope, January 2013)
- Operator Algebra (Te Anau, January 2014)
- Algebra, Number Theory and Discrete Geometry (Nelson, January 2015)
- Continuation Methods in Dynamical Systems (Raglan, January 2016)
The NZRMI is an incorporated society and has been granted charitable status by the NZ Inland Revenue Department. Donations are welcome, and will be put towards enhancing the mathematical research environment in New Zealand.
Its Directors (who serve on a voluntary (unpaid) basis) are Vaughan Jones (University of Auckland, University of California Berkeley, and Vanderbilt University), Marston Conder (University of Auckland), Rod Downey (Victoria University of Wellington), Rod Gover (University of Auckland), and Gaven Martin (Massey University).
Contact address: 22 Arawa St, Orakei, Auckland 1071, New Zealand.